All the flavors of a Greek pizza make these savory muffins bite-size treats for adults and kids alike. Take them on the go for an energy booster or eat them as your morning breakfast. You can also serve them as a meatless option when hosting guests!
What you need:
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2/3 cup finely chopped onion
2/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 large egg, well beaten
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives
Mini muffin tin to make 2 dozen
How to do it:
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; cook, stirring often, until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, oregano, sugar, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Stir milk, feta, egg, tomato paste and olives into the onion mixture. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Fill the prepared muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake the muffins until lightly browned, 13 to 15 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you make them and want to save them, extend the life of your baked goods by storing them in an airtight container in a single layer or between layers of parchment paper. For other fresh baked goods and the freshest bread in Nashua, call The Great Harvest Bread Company at 603-881-4422 today!